Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Q&A With Sina Velke

Sina, since last in Sydney what have you been working on?
My time has been divided between Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
It has been a really chaotic time, I have been busy with the cast and contestants on "German Idol" which I am a part of each year, advertorials for Telekom, Garnier, Veolia and Unger. And my regular hosting for Garnier and other events. I have been fortunate enough to be doing a lot of editorial work. I now have too much for my portfolio. The last month my personal highlights were working for Stylestalker in LA, "Quality Magazine" (Germany) and "Harpers Bazaar" (Vietnam).

What is it that you enjoy most about your job?
I enjoy most about my job the creative teamwork. There is nothing more fulfilling than working with a team on a concept and inspiring each other, that the end result is even better than the expectations. This requires a team where everyone respects the other artists as equally artistic and creative.

What inspires you?
Meeting and working with an artist who speaks the same visual language. It has happened a few times and then it just goes off like fireworks...

What has been a career highlight for you?
Meeting and working with my mentor Didier Malige. I met him on a shoot with Bruce Weber in Berlin.

What would you be doing now if not your chosen path of Hair & Make-up?

I would be a classical soprano singer.

How do you think Antipodean trends in hair and make-up differ from the rest of the world?
I get often asked this question as I work in Europe, America and Australia. Some people may feel that the Australian fashion industry is behind but I completely disagree. I recently worked with Stylestalker in LA on their campaigns and I am always amazed how free, trendy, young and sexy those upcoming Australian designers are. I love working in Australia because I sometimes find that you are able to develop a new and very unique "AUSTRALIAN" trend, which does not copy anything but represents the young, confident country. I am very honoured that I can be part of this process finding the fashion identity from Australian fashion.

Favourite make-up trick you want to share?
My all time favourite product is: Beauté Initiale Spray Sérum from Chanel for refreshing the make-up.

Best Hair trick you want to share?
Dry shampoo for the roots: it keeps the hair light and voluminous all day long.

Lastly, will you tell us your experience at this years NYC FW Shows 2012
Working with Didier Malige in NYC for Fashion Week, is one of the most important inspirations for me. He not just only shares his knowledge, he is always there for me to exchange trends and share techniques. To watch this experienced artist create looks for Rachel Zoe, Philosophy, Sophie Theallet, etc., shows me that experience and diligence leads you to mastery.



No comments:

Post a Comment